Sunday 22 September 2013

On the campaign trail

My voting papers, and possibly yours, have arrived, and now we're on the home straight, with just over two weeks before the results are announced.

Just voting is rather daunting, with so many candidates vying for our support.  Even in my own ward, there are 8 of us going for two positions.  I tell people that my big advantage is that my name is top of the list of candidates (semi-joke!) but I'm hopeful voters will know me from the work I've done in the ward in the last six years and want to keep me on. However, I'm not being complacent about being re-elected, so am taking every opportunity to get out there and renew my contacts with diverse groups of people.

First Nations people welcomed to Te Kupenga Hauora Ahuriri


Welcoming the First Nations
Delegation to Kupenga Hauora Ahuriri
On Friday I was invited to a powhiri for representatives of First Nations health providers from Canada, at Te Kupenga Hauora Ahuriri.  

"We-are-fam-i-ly", as they say, so it was lovely to be back with the staff, kaumatua and kuia there, and to join them in welcoming the delegation. 

Special affirming words were spoken by their matriarch, bringing tears to my and others' eyes.



The MTG and pressing the flesh

Onstage doing my two minutes speech!
I had to leave before kai to go to a Grey Power committee meeting (I'm secretary so can't be excused!) then the evening to a cocktail party at the MTG/tai Ahuriri (new museum, theater  gallery) at which some key people in the Positive + Change campaign introduced themselves to me.  

I guess it was their job to "work the room" as it were, drumming up support for their slate. While it made me feel important, I'm aware that they were just doing what I'm doing at present - putting myself out there so people know who I am when they come to vote.

Saturday morning was another opening of the MTG, - I arrived a bit late and red as a beetroot as I'd squeezed in a spin class at the gym beforehand, and even a cold shower didn't take away the boiled lobster look. Not that anyone was looking at me - the focus was on this stunning building and the treasures it contains.  Now officially open to the public, it's a wonderful attraction for locals and visitors to enjoy.

All candidates meeting at Pirimai


With PRA chair Andi Plumpton in part
of their playground - the cardboard fence
 behind shows where the Council reserve ends.
Rushed off straight away to Pirimai, where the Residents' Association bravely hosted a candidates meeting at 11 am for the eight ward candidates, the six mayoral candidates, and 16 at-large hopefuls.  

So we all had two minutes of glory to sell ourselves to a rather disappointing crowd, outside on the Council reserve on which the PRA has installed a wonderful playground for which they had raised $60,000 before gifting it to the City of Napier.  

Andi Plumpton, the PRA president and driving force, was one of my nominators, and I was proud to say I have worked actively to support the PRA in their various submissions to local and central government.

My dear friend Mariana Seymour
who came to support me
The Council reserve is adjacent to a much larger tract of empty green space, formerly the site of the Pirimai Primary school, and thsi will be up for sale within the next few months. 

I believe Council should buy some of it to extend the reserve, as a one-off purchase to provide adequate green space for Pirimai families, and I pledged my support for this.

As usual the PRA provided hot drinks, home baking, free sausages and a bouncy castle, along with a stage and sound system so we could be heard.  

They reflect the very best of a residents' association set up to support and advocate for their community.

No comments :

Post a Comment